Sunday 14 October 2012

Trench, Driza-Bone or North Face...?

All good things come to an end as a wise man, or woman, once said.  With the end of summer, came the advent of new employment for me.  After an official 6 month 'break' (and a somewhat longer unoffical one), if being chased around by 2 small children whilst moving a household lock, stock and barrel from London to Copenhagen counts, the day arrived from which I now have to get up every morning and look a different kind of respectable to the one required for the school run.

And, if the truth be known I was very excited and really quite looking forward to it.  Just the prospect of being able to spend my day speaking with adults about proper grown up things.  Surely a better prospect than having long days stretching out in front of me, getting the chores out of the way and then doing constructive things with my time like improving my 5K and 10K PB, sitting on the beach, hanging out in fancy cafes and restaurants etc.  

The feeling though of starting a new job, with a new employer 12 years after I changed jobs previously was very much like the one I remember when a new school year came round.  Except this time, I didn't go to work wearing a uniform so that it had room to grown into.  I did however, have to forego my planned haircut, due a crisis associated with our CoI (Captain of Industry), so my new company pass has my 'man of leisure' locks scraped across my head in some resemblance of respectability, instead of my customary short back and sides.

The new office.  Need to work on that window seat.
Having survived my first month successfully, I can report that working in Denmark seems a very pleasant experience.  Just some of the little things make a difference.  On my first day, I was presented with a very large bunch of flowers which brightened up our flat very nicely.  Only the 3rd time I think I have ever received flowers...Mrs B take note!

Welcome flowers.
At the end of the week, the Friday routine starts with a team meeting over breakfast where we shoot the breeze and actually take an interest in each other, over fresh 'bolle' of different types and wienerbrød from one of the many and quality bakeries nearby.  Note, there is also nothing called 'Danish pastries' here.  There is instead a vast array of cake type things, with complicated protocol determining whether it is 'wienerbrød' or 'kanalstang'.  And yes, I have no clue what the differences are, but I am yet to try something I haven't liked!

Returning to work has also meant that we have had to figure out a new family routine, that ensures that Miss R and Master T get to kindergarten and vuggestue respectively on time, not to mention ensuring that our CoI is in the office to keep the corporate machine from grinding to a halt.  But, so far, the routine is working well.  As the vuggestue is nearby, I normally take that shift, either on the bike or car, and our CoI takes the kindergarten shift as it is kind of on the way.  Completely by chance, it has worked out that our flat is in the centre of our work / school runs, with our CoI needing to go 10KM north, and I 10KM south.  But, things can get a little hectic when one of us has to wrangle both mini Bs of a morning, evening or sometimes even both.

The two other main things I have had to consider with the new work, is how to get there.  Being the 'City of Cycles' I have invested in a new city bike on which I have so far managed 2-3 days a week cycling to and from the office.  Master T also seems to enjoy the bike back transport to and from nursery and so amazingly exercise is being built into the daily schedule.  Only once have I managed to get drenched in an autumn shower.  This of course leads to a second question, how to fit in with the local cycling crowd and look practical yet stylish.  So far, I have tried 3 options and any feedback is most welcome.  It's also a very nice change to be able to wear (smart) jeans to the office.  It's all very different here in Denmark.

Option 1:  The Classic Trench (after I got soaked)!


 Option 2:  The Practical Driza Bone.


Option 3:  The Functional North Face Tri-Climate.


The one other thing to resolve is whether to scarf or not to scarf.  (Thanks to my fellow blogger London Lou for the insight here).

A real benefit of cycling is that it's nice way to see the city.  Whilst my route is standard most days, the occasional offsite provides the opportunity to get off the beaten track.  A recent trip down towards Ørestad meant a trip along some newly built flats and offices along some of the old canals which then brought me out just by the DR Byen metro stop.  For you wondering how to pronounce that it is:  Deh Err Boon.  Of course.  The pronunciation is the most challenging thing about the Danish language we have realised.  Anyway, the metro stop is by the offices of the Danish national TV broadcaster and an old concert hall.  It also has a very cool sculpture by it.  This is one of my favourite Denmark photos so far.


With all the extra effort being required to figure out the new routine and then remember that weekends then become filled with chores and child related activities, the time available for gastronomy exploration  has been limited.  We did manage a trip out to Islands Brygge to visit the branch of Scarpetta there.  Food was once again very good.  The set menu at 395 DKK (I think from memory) covers 5 dishes, of increasing size and robustness; salad, to soup, to fresh pasta, to some slow cooked pork belly.  (Yes I know that only mentions 4 things).  A small but very elegant wine menu is also available.  My only slight complaint would be the service as they were understaffed.  But the lovely girl managing front of house actually did a great job, with enthusiasm and a sense of humour.

The location in (on?) Islands Brygge feels like it is at the end of the city, next door seems to be some industrial wasteland, but it faces the water and if you are lucky enough to get one of the 2 window tables you'd be treated to a great sunset over the city.  One to remember for the next visit.



I also managed to gatecrash a dinner for some of my new colleagues.  This was at Bistro Boheme in the city centre and the team had a private room and everything.  Its clearly a place catering to the well heeled and office crowd, judging by the number of suits and smart dresses.  The food was excellent, very traditional bistro and the best steak I've had in a long time.  Looking down at the restaurant through the window of our dining room, the buzzing 'main' restaurant also seemed to indicate a popular following.


Vi ses... 

No comments:

Post a Comment